The proposed Rosewater Loop is an important Bikeway & Shared-Use Pathway loop that will connect the ‘transport-isolated’ suburbs of Rosewater & Ottoway (& possibly Wingfield) to important regional routes & service centres – notably the Outer Harbour Greenway & the Port CBD.
The ‘Rosewater Loop’ utilises:
- the disused ‘Rosewater Loop’ rail corridor that passes through the suburb of Rosewater, and…
- the ‘Gillman Rail Corridor’, the vacant former rail corridor where the Gillman Railyards existed until the late 1980s.
Both locations are under the care and control of DIT. All the rail infrastructure, pedestrian mazes and boom gates are still within the corridor and remain unkempt with weeds, graffiti, vandalism and rubbish within the corridor.
The redeveloped Rosewater Loop shared-use pathway will provide a major upgrade in equitable access to a large number of local services, recreational assets, public transport centres, schools & shops.
The PortBUG has quite a long history of advocacy for the Rosewater Loop. https://portadbug.org/2020/04/30/portbug-pathways-of-desire-the-rosewater-loop/
The development of the Rosewater Loop will inevitably need to be led by the Port Adelaide/Enfield Council. In 2021 Council officers took 2 important steps:
- commissioning a Masterplan document to ‘kickstart’ & guide ongoing development &… https://biketheport.files.wordpress.com/2022/08/rosewater-loop-conceptual-masterplan-copy.pdf
- sending a Report to Council (in October 2021), https://biketheport.files.wordpress.com/2022/08/rosewater-loop-considerations-council-report-october-2021-copy.pdf
In this Report Council resolved:
- to provide ‘In principle’ support for the ‘Rosewater Loop/Concept Master Plan’ and that the proposal be shared with the community and provided to the State Government.
- The Minister of Transport, Mr Corey Wingard and the Minister for Planning and Local Government, Ms Vickie Chapman be requested to fund the proposal.
Now of course we have a new Government with new priorities etc. Fortunately prior to the election the Labor Party made a commitment to fund the project, which leaves us hopeful for a +ve outcome.